Sunday, February 10, 2008

Metropolis

I found this movie to be one of the hardest movies that I have ever had to watch. I found it to be this way because the way it was filmed and the setting. I understand that the film was filmed in 1927 and people were just starting to experiment with film and try to do new things. I found the filming shaking and the lens made it appear like it was blurry. The music that was played throughout the film did not help with me enjoying to movie more. I felt like the song was stuck on repeat. The director of this film had German expressionism in mind when he was filming it. The shapes that he used were very sharp angles, there was a large contrast between black and white, and the make-up used was very bold so that the viewers would be able to understand the emotion of the characters in the film. All in all I did not like this film, but I feel that is was part of the evolution of film.

No comments: